Time to Celebrate Father’s Day
Blog Posted: September 1, 2016 / Prepared by Miranda Lang
It’s safe to say that most of us have been blessed by having good father figures in our lives. Sunday September 4th is the day set aside to celebrate our fathers (and father figures).
The origin of Father’s Day is based on an American tradition that first started in 1910 in Spokane Washington by Sonora Dodd. It was a proposed way to honor the man who raised her when her mother died in childbirth. It is celebrated on the 3rd Sunday in June.
Here in Australia many people observe Father’s Day on the first Sunday of September. It is a day for people to show their appreciation for fathers and father figures.
What Do People Do?
Many Australians celebrate Father’s Day by showing their appreciation for their fathers or father figures. Acts of appreciation are done in different ways and may include:
- A day out in the park, at the movies, at a zoo, or another place of interest.
- Handmade or purchased cards.
- Presents such as food baskets, chocolates, clothing, equipment for hobbies, or gift vouchers.
- Breakfasts, brunches, lunches, or dinners either at home, at a restaurant, or at a café.
- Father’s Day charity activities, such as fun runs or purchasing special gifts, to raise money for causes such as services for the visually impaired or research on prostate cancer.
- Some families may prefer to visit places of worship together, like churches, synagogues or mosques.
Here on the Fleurieu Peninsula we have our take on what would make great Father’s Day gift for that special dad.
Top 10 Suggestions for Sunday September 4th
1. A day at Deep Creek Conservation Park where you can experience a wide range of activities such as bushwalking on an extensive network of trails, camping in five campgrounds and viewing the spectacular scenery of Backstairs Passage, Kangaroo Island and the rugged Deep Creek valley.
2. Beer tasting at Smiling Samoyed Brewery. An award winning brewery named after the owners much loved Samoyed dogs. Great reputation for excellent craft beers, delicious food and fantastic atmosphere. A wide range of beers including ’12 Paws’ Pale Ale, a Dark Ale, an Australian Kolsch and an IPA.
3. See a remarkable, unspoilt South Australian gem…Coorong National Park with Canoe the Coorong. One of the best way to explore the spectacular waterways is by kayak.
4. A small farm that offers big taste with locally made gin and liqueurs. A nice way to celebrate is a visit to Encounter Coast Spirits.
5. A family adventure is a great way to celebrate dad. Waitpinga Quad Bike Tours offer stunning views while riding your quad bike through natural farmland.
6. Golf at one of our many excellent golf courses including Links Lady Bay located on the scenic Fleurieu Coast or in Victor Harbor at the McCracken Golf Course.
7. Now here is something that is sure to create memories for dad. Make your own wine either at Wirra Wirra or d’Arenberg.
8. Enjoy an ocean adventure of whale watching and sightseeing on the Big Duck Boat Tour. Leaves from the Granite Island Causeway in Victor Harbor.
9. There is plenty to do ‘At the Wharf’ in Goolwa including Hectors, Spirit of the Coorong, the Steam Exchange Brewery, PS Oscar W, Signal Point and Wharf Barrel Shed.
10. A beautiful drive from Adelaide to Strathalbyn and then onto Langhorne Creek Wine Region and you have found paradise. Plenty of boutique cellar doors and places to eat that make this place truly special.
Now these are 10 of some of our favourite things that your dad might enjoy on Father’s Day
Things to Do in the Fleurieu Peninsula
Where to Stay in the Fleurieu Peninsula
Contact us for information & bookings
Five Visitor Information Centres are spread across the Fleurieu Peninsula. Each has a dedicated team of locals and resources to support you during your stay.
For assistance in booking your trip, planning details for your visit, or to see what is happening in the region during your stay, the Visitor Information Centres are there to service you, the customer.
Fleurieu Peninsula Tourism Regional Office
6 George Main Road, Victor Harbor SA 5211 (appointments only)
Contact us by filling out the form below and pressing "submit".