The Fleurieu Peninsula is a year round destination that offers many activities that are suitable for families with children of all ages. Known as Adelaide's Playground, its easy to see the appeal that the Fleurieu Peninsula has. A place to go during school holidays, but also when enjoying quality family time.
From Goolwa, Port Elliot and Victor Harbor, Normanville and Port Noarlunga, there are plenty of natural areas to entertain everyone.
Historic Cockle Train
Jump aboard the historic Cockle Train for a coastal journey to remember, travelling from Goolwa to Victor Harbor and return.
Horse Drawn Tram
Take the Horse Drawn Tram across to Granite Island from Victor Harbor. You can even collect a business card from the horse that pulled you across – there are seven to collect!
A sure winner for kids of all ages, Victor Harbor has mini golf and a wildlife park to keep them occupied.
Camel and Pony Rides
Feel like royalty riding a camel on the beach at Victor Harbor or live out your John Wayne fantasies and saddle up your horse for a beach ride at Normanville.
Cycling and Blading
Hop on your bike or roller blades and enjoy the Encounter Bikeway, a shared, sealed track running between Goolwa and the Bluff, past Victor Harbor. Or try one of the other cycling trails that criss-cross throughout the region, like the Coast to Vines Rail Trail which takes you from Marino Rocks all the way to Willunga.
Better than Old MacDonald's Farm, at Narnu Farm the kids will love feeding the animals and horse riding on this award-winning farm. Located on Hindmarsh Island, they also have self-contained cottages.
For the ultimate adventure playground experience, head to Port Noarlunga or Goolwa, or let your kids clamber over the old steam train locomotive near the causeway at Victor Harbor. Great playgrounds and parks can be found in most towns.
PS Oscar W
Enjoy this one-hour historic paddle steamer river cruise on the PS Oscar W departing from the historic Goolwa Wharf.
Visit the skate ramps in Yankalilla, Goolwa, Victor Harbor, Strathalbyn and Sellicks Beach or one of the other sites located throughout the Fleurieu Peninsula.
Sun, Sand & Surf
Spend a day swimming, building sandcastles, collecting shells and body surfing at one of the many beaches in the Fleurieu Peninsula. Horseshoe Bay at Port Elliot provides sheltered, safe swimming and a chance to boogie board, while white sand stretches as far as the eye can see at Normanville.
Hop on a boat cruise and discover Coorong National Park, snorkel in clear waters over shallow reefs like that of Port Noarlunga, or learn to sail with other great water-based activities available in Goolwa, Clayton Bay and on Hindmarsh Island. Give yourself an adrenalin rush whilst diving with Southern Bluefin Tuna at Oceanic Victor in the waters of Encounter Bay.
Spot wildlife or go hiking in one of the regions numerous nature parks such as Deep Creek Conservation Park or the Onkaparinga River National and Recreation parks.
Family Friendly Itinerary ideas - Alexandrina region
- Mount Compass District Produce and Tourist Trail
- Fleurieu Aquatic Centre
- Canoe the Coorong
- Boat cruises
- Surfing lessons
- Encounter Bikeway
- Bike hire
- Horse rides
Family Friendly Itinerary ideas - Onkaparinga region
- Adventure Playground Port Noarlunga
- Wilfred Taylor Reserve Nature/Adventure Playground Morphett Vale
- McLaren Vale and Fleurieu Coast Visitor Centre – family friendly cellar door, café, large lawned area overlooking ‘nature play’ playground and gallery
- Cycling – with our without operators – Coast to Vines Trail, Shiraz Trail, this can also be done with Bike Hire from Coast & Co, or bike hire from the McLaren Vale and Fleurieu Coast Visitor Centre offering both e-bikes and push bikes
- McCarthys Orchard – rope swing and boat for kids to play in and apple or pear toasties with fresh produce straight from the farm
- Swell Taphouse (large family friendly lawn area) and Shifty Lizard offering menus for little ones
- Willunga Farmers Market
- Tealicious Cakes Willunga – cupcake heaven
- Maxwell Winery
- Woodstock Winery https://woodstockwine.com.au/wildlife-sanctuary/
- Gemtree Wines – alpacas, playground, complimentary BBQ facilities and eco-trail
- Down the Rabbit Hole
- Snorkelling – this can be done without any operators
- Swimming - one of the 5 surf life saving patrolled beaches (Aldinga, Christies Beach, Moana, Port Noarlunga, Southport)
- Fishing – Port Noarlunga Jetty, Onkaparinga River or beach fishing
- Hiking – this can be done with or without tour operators, such as Off Piste Tours
Family Friendly Itinerary ideas - Victor Harbor
- Horse Drawn Tram
- SA Whale Centre
- Softfoot Alpaca Farm
- Urimbirra Wildlife Park
- Granite Island and Sculpture Trail
- Cockle Train
- Dunes Mini Golf Park
- Camel & Pony rides
- Encounter Bikeway
- GT Fisher Nature Playground
- Bike Hire
- Glacier Rock Inman Valley (with Belicious Café)
- The Big Duck
- Victor Harbor Walking Tours
- Walks with Nature (multi day walking tours
Family Friendly Itinerary idea - Yankalilla region
- Snorkelling at Second Valley and Rapid Bay
- Ingalalla Falls
- Second Valley Forest
- Myponga Reservoir – Fishing, walking, free bike hire
- Deep Creek Conservation Park
- High Country Trails – Horse Riding on Normanville Beach
- Nixon Skinner Conservation Park
- Yankalilla Skate Park
- Cape Fishing Charters
- Southern Ocean Walk
- Second Valley – SUP and Kayak hire form SV Caravan Park
- Star gazing with the Backyard Universe